Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Love of reading
I loved to read from the moment I learned how. I was 4 years old when my Sunday School teacher asked my mom if she knew that I could read. My mom didn't believe her so she had me read a book for her.

From that time on, I read EVERYTHING. My mom would take me to the library and I would fill a paper grocery sack full of books and then go home and read right through them in a day or so. I devoured books. I read all the Nancy Drews and Hardy Boys. I read all of Roald Dahl's books and as I got older, all of Judy Blume's. And on, and on. By the time I was 10 or 11, the library of books that I owned was pretty big. I discovered the Sweet Valley High series and read them all. I soon graduated to VC Andrews and then Stephen King.

After I had Brianna, I hoped that she would love to read as much as me. It seemed she was going to. She liked to read up until about the 3rd grade and then she pretty much lost interest. She has since rediscovered her love for reading and probably reads more than I do.

Now, Braelyn can read. She has discovered chapter books and the Junie B Jones series. She is reading like crazy! I am loving every minute of it. Especially when she said, "Mommy, these books have lots of words that I have to sound out. And, there's not many pictures, but I can see it all in my head."

Be still my heart.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Angie @ 8:53 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheers!

    I'm a reader too as was my mother and grandmother before me. I remember standing in awe of my grandmother's collection. Book shelves as far as my little girl eyes could see. Or so it seemed. My parents would ground me FROM MY BOOKS. Mom apologizes to this day but says it was the only way to get through to me. I didn't miss anything else!

    My son is slowly starting to appreciate books. Hopefully it'll catch.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger CAM said…

    I am also a huge reader. I feel I have learned more from the books I have read than any of the schooling I attended.

    Seeing my 1st grade daughter curled up on the coach with Junie B, not wanting to go to bed till it's finished, is one of my proudest achievements.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives