Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Stay in school, kids!
This is a 'my kid is awesome' kind of post, so be warned.

First, I have to say that I completely forgot to blog about my oldest daughter, Brianna, being accepted to IUPUI for next year. (She's a senior in high school right now.) IUPUI is her first choice because they have her major, which is not quite as a popular as, say, elementary ed or something like that. Her major is Tourism, Conventions and Event Management. She'd like to be an event coordinator and maybe do some wedding planning on the side. Anyway, IUPUI has a good program so she applied and got in. I didn't think there'd be any question, anyway, because she is on track to be one of the valedictorians of her class this year. A couple of weeks ago, she got her acceptance letter and she was happy and so were we.

Brianna is extremely organized and she has really taken the bull by the horns when it comes to applying for college and scholarships, etc. She has done every last bit of it and I haven't had to do anything. (It's a good thing, because I am NOT the organized type. Not at all.)

Fast forward to yesterday. Brianna got a packet in the mail which looked exactly like her acceptance package. It was a usual afternoon in our house with the kids making noise and Jeremy (the boyfriend) hanging out and just whatever. Brianna was opening her mail and all of the sudden she SCREAMS and says, "I got the scholarship! The Valedictorian scholarship!" So we all run to her and there may have been dancing and singing, not sure.

The Valedictorian scholarship is... $40,000!




I KNOW! I couldn't believe it either!

Now, here's our dilemma. How the H are we going to pay for housing?? Well, Brianna is also part of the 21st Century Scholars program. Now, if the scholarship can be applied to housing also, 21st Century Scholars will cover the remainder of the tuition. Cross your fingers.

Anyway, my kid is awesome! See?

posted by Angie @ 7:22 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations on everything. With two graduating this year, I know the financial fear that you must be feeling. And isn't it a convenient time for the country to lose its mind financially? $40,000 is a phenomenal scholarship. Way to go.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my God,, Oh my God,, Oh my god!

    That's absolutely freaking FABULOUS!

    Congrats to Brianna!!!

    You must be VERY proud,, I'm proud and we've never even met,,, yet!

    :)
    Love ya Ang!

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Thumper said…

    Freaking AWESOME!

    *MAJOR* congrats to your daughter!!!

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Amy, aka ABB said…

    I know I've already said congrats, but I'm saying it again - Congratulations, Brianna! There are lots more scholarships out there so don't stop applying. Since Bri is doing all the work, she probably already knows about that fastweb site that has almost ALL the scholarships ever listed in one place and she can input her numbers and it will generate a list of everything she's qualified for. The more money that comes in the better, right?! Thank God for an enterprising, organized kid! You and Bubba did a good job!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives