Monday, June 12, 2006
Pet Peeve Alert
Wanna know yet another pet peeve of mine?

People who SAY "sequence" when they MEAN "sequins."

These.....



...are SEQUINS.






A SEQUENCE is...

se·quence (sē'kwəns, -kwĕns') pronunciation
n.

1. A following of one thing after another; succession.
2. An order of succession; an arrangement.
3. A related or continuous series. See synonyms at series.
4. Games. Three or more playing cards in consecutive order; a run.
5. A series of related shots that constitute a complete unit of action in a movie.
6. Music. A melodic or harmonic pattern successively repeated at different pitches with or without a key change.
7. Roman Catholic Church. A hymn sung between the gradual and the Gospel.
8. Mathematics. An ordered set of quantities, as x, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4.
9. Biochemistry. The order of constituents in a polymer, especially the order of nucleotides in a nucleic acid or of the amino acids in a protein.

Thank you and good night.
posted by Angie @ 9:33 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    girl don't even get me started on pronounciation.

    My mother in law,, typical NY-er

    Saturday,, sadaday or sometimes sad-day
    Beautiful,, bee-oo-tiful
    shrimp,,, shrimps
    walmart,,,, walmarts

    EEKK drives me crazy!

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said…

    I become positively murderous at re-la-tor for realtor, and nu-cu-lar for nuclear.

    But those sure are pretty sequence on those purses!

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well since I live in the land of mispronounciation, I'm not even going to get started LOL..
    I will give you an example though...I'm from MS so people here are always saying things wrong
    My dad has a very hick accent so when he says "poor" it sounds like "pour". It irks me to no end lol..
    I don't really have a southern drawl adn I try to pronounce words correctly so I don't sound like a hick :)

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger TLR said…

    How about when some say earl when they really mean oil. Also the word iron pronounce I---ron. Or can I axe you a question?????????

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Gah, I have so many pet peeves like that. Saying "Supposebly" instead of supposedly really bothers me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives