Thursday, June 05, 2008
Panic! At the Mall

Though I've never had one before, I am pretty sure I had a panic attack at the mall a few days ago.

Now, the first thing here is that I loathe the mall. With a capital LOATHE. But, Books-A-Million is in the mall and has it's own entrance from the outside. Bubba gave me a gift card for Mother's Day for B-A-M so I decided I'd go there on Monday because everybody was going to be gone. I spent 2 hours just browsing. Here's the thing with that. I have a hard time buying new books when I know I can get them for free from the library or my aunt. I can't spend money on magazines because that seems an even bigger waste. I can't spend money on a book that isn't thick because that seems to be a waste, too. So I wandered around and around and around. I didn't buy any books. I did buy something but it wasn't books or book related, even. I'll post photos of what I bought, but it's at work so that'll be another post.

Anyway, like a dummy I decided to walk down to the Blondie's Cookies store and get a cookie. I thought it was closer to the bookstore than it actually is, but I went anyway.

Have I ever told you one reason why I hate the mall so much? WAY too many reflective surfaces (ie:windows and mirrors). I'm not kidding! I can't stand to see my full length reflection. Blech.

So, I made it to Blondie's (home of the most over-priced cookies on the face of the earth) and ended up with 3 cookies. But, as the lady was getting my change, I started feeling strange. I got really hot and sweaty and like I couldn't catch my breath. The only thing I could think about was getting the H out of the mall! I had on stupid sandals that I couldn't walk fast in and I was trying to keep my composure as I headed for the exit. I wanted to run very badly but that would bring attention to me that I didn't need or want.

THEN! THEN! The ding dang dong janitor guy was suddenly beside me, pushing his cleaning cart at the exact speed I was walking. I was near tears because I couldn't get around him. Finally, I had enough wits about me to stop and let him pass me and I finally got through the doors to the blessed outside air! I couldn't get to my car fast enough! It was sweet relief to get in and close the door. By this time I was crying and gasping for air and my hands were shaking.

I sat in the parking lot for a while, hoping nobody was noticing me and because I am totally an emotional eater..I crammed a cookie in my mouth.

It was all very embarrassing and scary and unnerving. I hope it doesn't happen again any time soon. I really don't want to have to take medication for panic attacks. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Needless to say, I won't be venturing to the mall again anytime soon. Not without my security blanket named Bubba, anyway.
posted by Angie @ 6:26 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Willow said…

    OMG I'm the same way with malls! Waaay too many reflective surfaces! (And the ones that are two floors - ACK! ACK! ACK!!)

    But y'know, cookies sound like good panic attack medicine to me! (I'm glad you're feeling better!)

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Ditsy Chick said…

    I hate malls too, I started buying make-up from MaryKay, just to avoid buying makeup there anymore...

    I hope the cookie was good at least!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are days when I wonder why malls exist, probably because I need a smart, intelligent, creative woman to buy my clothes for me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives