Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Hold..my..hand..want you to hold my hand...
Monday morning, as I was backing out of the driveway, I saw an owl sitting on our front sidewalk. If I hadn't been running late, I would have stopped and marveled for a while. As it happens, I WAS running late, (Bubba: "Go figure.") so I couldn't linger, but I did see that there was a second owl and they both flew up into one of our trees as I drove by.

Way cool. Like WHO (pun intended) gets to see owls that often?? Among people in the city, I mean.

We had a huge storm last evening and it rained into the night so this morning there was a big puddle on our front sidewalk. I heard some strange loud bird chirping and looked out the front window and there were the owls standing in the puddle, I don't know, drinking? Bathing? I watched as they hopped around a little and then they flew up into the tree again.

Yay! They seem to be staying. So now I am on a mission to get some photos. Yeah. It's not really working. BUT! I did get a short little video of them in the tree which I shall now post for your viewing pleasure.



In case you can't hear what I'm saying, we're naming them Hootie and Oliver. Plus, I KNOW you can't see them very well. It's better on my computer so you'll have to come over and watch it, sometime. But, just to orient your vision, the owls are just below that slanted branch. See? Riiiiight...THERE! And no, we don't live on an interstate, though judging by the noise in that video, you'd think we live directly next to I69!

Bubba wanted them to be Hootie and Blowfish, hence the name of this post. Blowfish was nixed. I win.

Updated to add: You can see the owls much better over at my flickr.
posted by Angie @ 10:56 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Joyce said…

    Nice Hooters, Angie!! (Told you I'd say that!)

    I didn't see them at all until I read your description. Even then it took me a few seconds, but I found them and they look adorable. Hope they stay. You should call the local news. Maybe they'll do cute story on them.

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said…

    I like Joyce's comment above! Owls are naturally going to stay obscured.

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Amy, aka ABB said…

    I have to echo Joyce and say, "Nice hooters!" Now you'll have to start checking the ground underneath for their ummm, droppings. Sometimes you'll see all sorts of bones and feathers of other birds (ick).

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally awesome, Ang! It's rare to see one owl in Indiana, let alone two. Great video!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives