Friday, February 24, 2006
Be My Guest
I asked my current renter to write a guest post for my blog and he was more than happy to oblige. He's cool like that. Plus, he can't resist my charms. So, without further ado, I give you... Mr. E's guest post...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now

Hey there, everyone! Many of Angie's regular readers may not know me, but I'm E, also known as
Eccentric Man
. I'm also Angie's blog tenant this week. I'm honored to not only be Angie's tenant, but also today's guest blogger. If you want to find out more about me, visit '209 Things About Mr. Eccentric.'

I had an opportunity to travel the back roads of Hancock County, Indiana Thursday on some personal business. There is one particular road in which I've travel often in the past. It's quite scenic and remote, but during the afternoon and evening hours, there's still enough traffic on this road to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will NOT be alone for long.

As I was headed down this particular stretch of road, I approached a man and a woman standing in the middle of the road. The doors to their red pickup truck were open and they were just standing there, right where the flow of traffic would have to either hit them or slow down.. When the twosome saw me coming, they scrambled for the truck, closed the doors, and started creeping along.

After I passed the truck and its passengers, I looked in my rearview mirror. The man drove the truck forward a few feet, then stopped. The woman got out of the truck, walked over to the side of the road into the weeds, and proceeded to squat down.

Yes, a woman was publicly urinating on the side of a county road in broad daylight! Did she run out of her Detrol LA? I don't know, but she seemed to have no regard for who may be driving by.

Couldn't this woman wait until she got home? In this particular area of Hancock County, she was most likely close to home or her destination was close by. Also, while remote, she was just minutes away from cities and towns where restroom facilities were available.

Or, another perspective is that she COULD have had a serious medical condition which would have prevented her from traveling even more than another mile or two before she had to take care of her "emergency."

Basically, seeing this event unfold before my eyes reminded me of a book I read once...I think it was called "Walk a Mile in my Shoes." My immediate reaction was to assume that this was some hillbilly redneck woman who was too uncultured to wait until she got home to go to the bathroom. However, when I put myself in her place, wondering if possibly something more serious was going on, my perspective changed.

When we encounter individuals with whom we may not understand, people who are rude, mean, or indifferent to us, we need to take a deep breath, step back, and walk a mile in their shoes. It was my lesson for the day. If we could all live that lesson, the world would be a much better place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, E! You're the cat's pajamas!! :)
posted by Angie @ 5:58 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives