Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Well, wasn't that fun?
I've spent a HUGE part of my life worrying about what other people might think about what I say, or do or think. Part of the problem was my parents. I had great parents, but, they were just always worried about what other people, especially people at church, would think about what we said or did. That rubbed off on me in a big way.

Finally, at 37 (almost 38), I am getting to the point where I don't care. And when I say I don't care, I just mean that I am finally realizing that it's OK for me to have an opinion on anything and everything without being scared to voice it. It's OK for me to NOT agree with what everyone around me is thinking. It's OK for me to even be the ONLY one with a different opinion. I don't have to have anyone else validate me in any way.

I knew my post about Obama wouldn't be popular and that was OK. It's still OK. I'm allowed to have my own opinions about him and what he plans to do as president. I'm allowed to be worried. I'm allowed to not like him. I'm allowed to not like how people seem to be worshiping him. Just because my opinion makes others angry, it's OK. I'm not ashamed of my feelings, my beliefs, or what my heart and mind are telling me.

I've had a lot of time since last Tuesday to think about the election and everything about Obama. I've read the Obama website from "cover to cover." I've been reading everything I can get my hands on so I will know what he's planning to do. I'm still worried, scared, leary...I still feel the way I felt when I wrote my post.

I wrote a blog post. A blog post that a tiny handful of people even read. I'm not out on the street corners screaming my disdain. I'm not standing outside the White House screaming like a fool that "THE END IS NIGH!!!" I wrote a blog post. That's all.

The only thing I can say is that if I DIRECTLY singled YOU out and hurt your feelings, I am truly sorry. My intention was not to make people mad. It was to voice my opinion. I was very careful not to make blanket statements. Why? Because there ARE normal people who voted for Obama. Normal people who think he's an admirable man who will do our country a lot of good. That? Is awesome. In NO way would I ever say he has ALL of America hoodwinked. I also would not say that every single person who voted for Obama voted because he was black. I believe I said that I'd heard people say it around me and during interviews and such on television. That is hardly millions of people.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is, Obama was elected and he'll be the president, come January. All I can do is hold on for the ride. I just don't have to LIKE that ride.

Kinda like that Tomb Raider ride at King's Island which I hated...but that's another blog post altogether.
posted by Angie @ 6:00 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Amy, aka ABB said…

    If we lived near each other, I'd say come over and have some coffee. Or let's have a girls' night out, or let's go window-shopping (never mind, that gets me irritated and depressed with the "I wants"). But I feel the same way you do, and I really don't give a hairy rat's ass who agrees with me. I am OF age and I get to have MY own opinion on anything. Yes, all about me, me, me. So you get to do this on your own blog - all about you, you, you - and anyone who doesn't agree or sympathize or whatever, doesn't have to read any further. Forget about anyone who feels they need to "correct" your opinions, Ange, you're doing just fine and dandy.

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Thanks, Amy! One of these days, we'll fly Joyce in and have a super fun girls night. Even if that is just dinner and dessert. ;)

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Joyce said…

    I am soooo there!!! I want cheesecake.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Salena said…

    I used to feel that way too. I worried if what I wrote would offend someone or what someone would think of me. I've gotten to the point that I don't care. I am entitled to my opinion and I will stand up for it.

    Did someone say cheesecake?!

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Blogger Red Dakini said…

    Your post really touched me. Since I live smack dab in the center of "Obama messiah worship" I can tell you that I have been feeling persecuted for supporting and liking Sarah Palin. I have received so much hate in response to posting an opinion on "supposedly objective liberal blogs" it's unbelievable. I hoped for bi partisan dialogue and got juvenile insults instead. I actually was sick to my stomach yesterday reading the hatred and venom coming from responses to an article written by Camille Paglia on Salon.com where she bravely dared to admire Palin. The party that I though was so open minded isn't! I have to leave the democratic party, not b/c of Obama, but b/c of most liberal women's inability to respect dissenting opinions.

    Anyway sorry to make it "all about me". I'm glad and proud that you have found your opinionated voice and that you are brave enough to use it. You are an inspiration. I'd love to hear from right wing ladies: why are you Republican? I think I might need to join you pretty ladies. Thanks! xxx

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives