Saturday, August 20, 2005
OK (a NON-BB6 post for once)
See that title? That was the answer we got from Guard Girl when we asked how her first day of school went on Thursday. "Ok." It's like pulling teeth to get details from her. You have to ask her a specific question to get any kind of details. I was like.."Just ok? What happened? Who'd you sit with at lunch? Do you like your teachers? Did you get lost? Who do you sit by in class?" She had a good first day and second day it seems. She has tons of friends from being in guard for a year already so she fits in well. Drummer Boy (her boyfriend) is in 8th grade so he is at a different school. That is a bummer for her, but we'll see what happens.

I went in to work yesterday morning and found out that a girl I went to school with had died the day before. People my age, that I know, are not supposed to die, you know? I work with her husband and I went to high school with both of them. It's weird because in high school, we didn't like each other. Because of a guy. Bubba. See, this girl went out with Bubba's best friend for a LONG time. Then they broke up and the guy started going out with someone else. She still wanted him so she started going after Bubba to get at him. Now, this happened to be at a time when me and Bubba had broken up. One day I called him and asked him to come over. I went to pick him up and there he stood with this girl and her friend. I was so ticked off! I can remember questioning him about her and I remember confronting her in the stairwell at school telling her to stay away from Bubba. I can still see it, I was going up and she was going down and we yelled at each other as we went and got farther and farther away from each other. So, anyway, after that, we just never liked each other. From high school on, if we ever saw each other, we just didn't speak. And in recent years it was just that we didn't know each other so why pretend to be friends when we had never been friends? Nothing bad, just simple as that.
Anyway, several years ago, I heard that she had breast cancer. Then, a few years ago her husband started working for the company that I work for. I was pretty good friends with her husband in high school because we had the same circle of friends. He is just a great guy. I would hear "through the grapevine" that she was having recurrances of the cancer spreading here and there through her body. In the past year, her husband would send out emails to update everyone on her condition because it was so hard to go around telling everyone.
Not sure why I told such a long story about that...but it is just so sad. They have two young boys. Tomorrow, several of us from work and Bubba, too, will be going to calling hours to pay our respects.
Now...here is the part that makes me feel like a really bad person. I'mdreading seeing people from high school that I know will more than likely be there. Why? Because I have gained a bunch of weight. I know, I shouldn't care what people think..but I do. Plain and simple. I'm gonna bite the bullet though. Hopefully, by our 20 (!) year reunion I will have lost some noticable weight!! (Tara, New York is only 8 1/2 months away! Surely I can lose some by then. Gotta catch that photo op, don't ya know. hee hee)

More Friday fun...I had been at work for only about 15 minutes and Bubba called me. He said, "I'm going to the hospital!" He sounded like he was crying...scared me to death! Seems he had gone to lift a bag of salt off his truck at work and he heard/felt a huge pop in his right shoulder with excrutiating pain and he fell to his knees screaming. So, his boss had to pick him up and take him to the ER. I left work and met him over there. He could barely move at all and they took him back immediately. They had to cut his shirt off because he couldn't raise his right arm enough and they were just determined to get a gown on him. He ended up with one arm in the gown...good thing he got it on! He had to have xrays and the doc is pretty sure it is a rotator cuff injury. Wonderful news..probably surgery ahead for Bubba. He has to see and Orthopedic dr next week. He's off work for a week..for now. Probably much more. He's been in major pain since it happened. Even with Vicodin.

Me and Guard Girl went to a baby shower today for one of my co-workers. It was fine, but long and dragged out. It all could have been compacted into much less time. She got a ton of cute stuff. Afterward, I took GG to Drummer boy's so they could hang out for a while. Watched BB..have a few thoughts, but that can wait til another post.

Gotta go get my kids ready for bed.
posted by Angie @ 7:47 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ang,, no worries about the weight,, we are going to do this!!! But I do know how you feel. I would dread seeing anyone from high school the way I am right now. Tell Bubba I said,, feel better and will keep my fingers crossed that everything works out well for his arm. Ooh by the way, found the lo carb bagels,, I was so happy eating one with cream cheese this morning,, yippeeeeee!

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Tracy S said…

    Oh girl ...I hope he doesn't have to have surgery :( I will be praying for you .Sorry to hear about your friends wife :( So so sad and especially at such an early age .

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives