Sunday, January 23, 2005
Ice, Ice, Baby
Ok. So, I know you have all been waiting with bated breath to hear all about "Ice Storm '05" here in my town. You asked for it (well, ok, I am pretending you asked for it)you got it!

Let me take you back to January 5th. The rain begins. Lots and lots of rain. Which began to freeze. I think it's called freezing rain. Or something. Ask a meteorologist. Anyway, we watched it rain. Watched it start sticking to the trees. I was at work until 5(which actually turned into 6 which is another story)so I figured I would go out to my car and find it under an inch of ice and I'd be whacking it with my shoe to chip it away. Funny thing, this particular ice storm. It didn't stick to anything but the trees and power lines! The roads weren't bad. The cars didn't need scraped. But every single power line was down, or frozen or whatever happens to make them not send power to MY HOUSE! When I got home, the house was still warm, lights glowing, tv making too much noise. All was well with the world. Fast forward to Thursday, Jan. 6th. Phone rings at 5 frickin' thirty AM!! I jump from my bed in a stupor and wander around until I find the phone which, mind you, has already stopped ringing. God Bless Caller ID! The call was from my place of employment. From this point on, it shall be referred to here as The Lab. You'll find out why some other day. So, I call back and get the co-worker who called me. She's insane, just let me say that. She was there before dawn. Whatever. Anyway, there was no power at work. What should we do? So, I look outside and see that I can't get out of my driveway because of all the limbs that have fallen overnight. So, I tell her I more than likely won't be in, but I will try as soon as Bubba-ump can get the van out of the driveway. Around 6am...ZAP! Our power was gone. PITCH FREAKING BLACK! So we stumble around trying to find the flashlight and candles. Phone doesn't work because all we have is a cordless. So, Guard Girl gets her cell out so we can use it. I spend the morning on the phone with co-workers figuring out who can work and who can't. I finally made it to work at around 11:30am. Good thing, too. There was high drama and showing up gave me some good brownie points! By the time I got off work at 5, our house was freezing. No electricity=no heat. No kerosene heater=no heat. No generator=no heat. No money for all those things=no heat. We stopped at the only McDonalds in town that had electricity. (let me say here, that when all was said and done, there were roughly 70,000 customers with no power in my city! Almost everybody!! And roughly 69,000 of those people were at this McDonalds!) After we ate, we went home to gather some things and after establishing which family member with no power, but heat, to stay with, we headed to....MY PARENT'S. Don't get me wrong. I love them. I just don't want to live with them!! So, we get there and they are huddled around the kerosene heater. The same kerosene heater that my mother refused to let my dad turn on all day because they "scare her." We get settled in and I spend the time willing my children to STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE KEROSENE HEATER BECAUSE IT IS HOT...because if I had to hear my dad say "watch out, don't touch, slow down, don't run, get away from it, it's hot, it will burn you" ONE MORE TIME, I thought I would pick the thing up with my bare hands and send it flying out the window!! Oh, but it gets so much better.


Someone get the man some Bisquick!!(otherwise known as The Bisquick Incident)
Ok, so there we are at the 'rents. Things are going well, aside from the kerosene heater. Dad decides that he is going to fix my mom a pancake. On the kerosene heater. On. The. Kerosene. Heater. So, I sit on the couch and observe the festivities that ensue. Dad wanders in to the kitchen to get the bisquick.
"Where's the Bisquick?" *enter sounds of cabinets opening and closing*
"HUH?"
"Where's the Bisquick?" *more cabinet sounds*
"I don't know. You used it last."
"No, I didn't. What did you do with the Bisquick?" *cabinets*
"Huh? You had it last."
"No, you used it last." *cabinets*
Mom finally gets up and goes into the kitchen to aid in the Bisquick recovery.
*more cabinets*
"I put it back the last time I used it. You used it after me."
"No, I didn't. Where did you put it?"
Guard Girl has to add her two-cents. "Grandma, maybe you guys used all the Bisquick!"
"No, there was some left the last time I used it."
"Where could that Bisquick be?"

FOR THE LOVE OF PANCAKE MIX, GET THE MAN SOME FREAKING BISQUICK!!!!!!!
(is it possible to go completely insane from hearing the word "bisquick" 100 times in 10 minutes??)

This went on for 10 to 15 minutes. I kid you not.

He made her an egg.

posted by Angie @ 8:01 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me

angie1

Name: Angie
Home: Indiana, United States
About Me: Kicking and screaming into my forties...
See my complete profile
100+ things about me
What does 'ficken chingers' mean?
Main Page
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from angiedi70. Make your own badge here.

previous post
links

listed



archives